Saturday, January 21, 2017

Joe's Got a Movie Blog

Those of you who have been paying attention have probably been wondering why I've only done two blog posts in the last six months.

It's because there isn't much more I can say about the publishing industry.

From 2005 until 2009, my blog was all about self-promotion, landing an agent and a publishing deal, and working with publishers to make your book a success.

From 2009 until 2016, my blog was all about self-publishing, and why legacy publishing was no longer the best choice for most authors.

I've blogged, at length, about changes and controversies in the publishing world, and did my part to inform (and hopefully entertain) authors of all experience levels.

But, lately, nothing in the industry has piqued my interest enough to blog about it.

And I miss blogging.

I will continue to blog sporadically on NEWBIE'S GUIDE, if something cool happens. Or something uncool happens. I created this blog to advocate for authors, and I will continue to do that.

I have also begun a new blog.

I'm a huge movie fan, and have about five thousand titles in my home library. As you might guess, not all of them are good. Some, in fact, are terrible.

I'm going to be blogging about the terrible ones.

My son, Talon Konrath, and I have launched THE BEST WORST MOVIES EVER BLOG. Several times a week we're going to be watching bad movies and sharing our thoughts.

Unlike this blog, the movie blog is meant to primarily entertain. If you're a fan of bad movies, you'll no doubt see some titles you recognize. If you don't understand the appeal of bad movies, I hope you'll check it out and learn why you need to seek out and see many of these amazing films.

So far we've got nine posts live, and plan on at least a hundred more by the end of 2017. It's a rough job, but we're committed to it.

Please take a look, and as always, thanks for reading!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the WORST movies I ever saw, eons ago it seems, was Escape From New York... The insides of outhouse smelled better than that movie.

Stephen Leather said...

I'm still waiting for you to finish your beer blog! Whatever happened to those before and after pictures? http://30daybeerdiet.blogspot.com

JA Konrath said...

It's on my todo list Stephen. :)

Louis Shalako said...

I love bad movies.

Unknown said...

Now you're speaking my language. I just watched a real treasure titled Terror in Beverly Hills starring Frank Stallone. If you're a connoisseur of bad films, it's a must see.

Eden Sharp said...

Do you mean good bad movies or bad bad movies (a la Segal)?

Gary Ponzo said...

You could spend a month just on "Monster-In-Law."

Unknown said...

Wait-wait! Before you go (and forgive me if you've talked about this in past posts and I've missed it), do you have an opinion on using IngramSpark/Lightning Source vs. CreateSpace? Not that my story should be of ANY INTEREST but I'm going to report anyway:

I'm with an indie pub for the ebook of my first novel, Updrift (chick lit!) and went through the rigamarole of offering it POD via Ingram for reasons I can no longer recall. I declined to sell my sequel to the epublisher of my first for the reasons you've explicated so well in your blog - and seriously folks, hire out the help and do this gig yourself 'cause you'll be SO much happier - and brought out both the ebook and POD via Ingram last November. I'm now finishing up the third in the series... and I'm tempted to try CreateSpace for the complete hell of it. Would love to hear your thoughts on the subject should you have any!

Thanks,
Errin

BRYAN HIGBY said...

Hey Joe this is excellent news! Besides being "Bryan is easily one of the most prolific and enthusiastic authors I've ever run into. He writes with unabashed exuberance. If you missed the link above, I encourage you to check out some of his stuff here." Quote from my guest blog here July 1st 2015, I'm also a hack film director. If you need bad short films man I have two DVD collections I can send you for review. Let me know LOL!

Anonymous said...

I have missed your observations and your snarky blog.

But if there's nothing to snark about anymore... hope there will be.

Jake Parent said...

Best of luck, guys!