Monday, March 15, 2010

SERIAL UNCUT

Last year, Blake Crouch and I wrote a horror story called SERIAL.

It was the #1 Kindle Bestseller for six weeks, and has been in the Top 100 for 275 days.

It's been a signed, numbered, limited edition chapbook.

It will soon appear in the upcoming Shivers anthology from Cemetery Dance.

This 7500 word tale has been downloaded over 200,000 times.

The overwhelming response was polarized. Some loved it and wished it were longer. Other wished they could "unread" it, attacking us for writing such filth.

Amazed at the traffic and attention our little story has received, Blake an I began to think about how we could make SERIAL bigger, longer, and rougher.

The result is SERIAL UNCUT.

SERIAL UNCUT is over 36,000 words, much of it brand new. Along with the insertion of additional material too extreme for the original version, it also has a vastly expanded beginning and ending, including an extended section that originally appeared in the novella TRUCK STOP.

If you can handle horrific thrills, proceed at your own risk.

But if you suffer from anxiety attacks, nervous disorders, insomnia, nightmares or night terrors, heart palpitations, stomach problems, or are of an overly sensitive nature, you should read something else instead.

The authors are in no way responsible for any lost sleep, missed work, failed relationships, or difficulty in coping with life after you have read SERIAL UNCUT. They will not pay for any therapy you may require as a result of reading SERIAL UNCUT. They will not cradle you in their arms, rock you back and forth, and speak in soothing tones while you unsuccessfully try to forget SERIAL UNCUT.

You have been warned...

14 comments:

Carrie Clevenger said...

I read it and was riveted. It was just the perfect length, as heart-pounding as it was. Guys, you did fine. Forget the critics. It was awesome.

JA Konrath said...

Thanks, Carrie. You read the original, or the new uncut version?

Carrie Clevenger said...

I read the original. Considering I only read about 5 actual books a year (I'm constantly making my own) this is a good sign for you.

JA Konrath said...

The original is 7500 words. This one is 36,000.

Leigh Purtill said...

Love the warning...reminds me of a literary William Castle. Cheers~

PokerBen said...

I've have both "Truck Stop" & "Serial" but I haven't dared to read them yet. If I get Serial Uncut, do I still need to read the other two? If so what order?

JA Konrath said...

You can just read SERIAL UNCUT. It contains everything and more.

Dawn said...

I love this cover. Horror is not my cup of tea...I didn't sleep well after The Ring, so I'm sure this would totally trip me out.

Jude Hardin said...

You're a sick puppy, Joe.

But I like sick puppies.

Hope you guys do well with this!

Anonymous said...

Joe, have you noticed certain times of the day or days of the week when your Kindle sales tend to consistanly spike? Or times of the day when sales consistanly fall flat?

Christine Macdonald said...

A born salesman. And writer.

Nick Kelly said...

How does Shivers compare to Like a Chinese Tattoo? That one was twisted...

Liz Kreger said...

Interesting that the pendelum swings from one extreme to the other. I'm not much into horror ... so thank you for the warning. Best of luck with it.

John Gall said...

This was the first book I read on my Kindle and wow am I glad I bought it so I could find Serial UNCUT! Awesome.